Visiting Canada

Visit this page to find out whether you require a visa to enter Canada.

Students in the US on a Student Visa

With regards to student visas, should a visa be required for entry into Canada, all student travellers will need to apply through the Canadian embassy.

As it relates to returning back into the United States on their student visa, in addition to their valid student visas, they will need the following:
• A SEVIS Form I-20, endorsed for travel and signed by your DSO
• A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of reentry

Students should consult their Designated School Official (DSO) prior to traveling. The DSO generally works in the International Student Office. You must have a current SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel and your DSO needs to be able to verify that your SEVIS record is accurate and up-to-date.

For more information on entry/exit requirements, please visit

Invitation letters

The Association for Computing Machinery does not issue formal invitation letters for visas to attend ACM sponsored conferences. We can however issue a visa support letter. For Visa support letters, please send all requests to the Office of SIG Services at with the following information:

* Your name as it appears on your passport Current postal mailing address; The name of the conference you wish to attend
* Your Registration Confirmation Number
* If you have any papers accepted for the conference, please provide the title and indicate whether you are the 'sole author' or a 'co- author'.

Please note visa support letters are issued via email by PDF and the original is mailed to your current postal address. More information is available here.